Follicular Unit Transplant, also known as FUT, is one of the most popular hair transplant methods in the hair restoration field. FUT is the most familiar surgical hair transplant technique that uses naturally occurring groups of 1 to 4 hairs, known as follicular units. It is an advanced hair transplant procedure designed to produce a naturally appearing hairline.
Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) procedure
- Local anesthetic is administered on the scalp, allowing the patient to feel comfortable during the treatment (Light sedation can be administered if requested by the patient)
- A donor strip is carefully removed from the donor area
- Under a microscope, the individual follicular units are dissected from the strip
- The doctor will make tiny incisions in the scalp for recipient sites using an advanced needle-point instrument
- Single follicular units are implanted into the hair loss recipient sites
Who benefits from Follicular Unit Transplants?
Good candidates for Follicular Unit Transplants are individuals with relatively stable hair loss and who have good donor areas.